For this project, I decided to make a topographical map model of the flatirons and form it into a layered, wooden clock.
I took screenshots of a topographical map of the flatirons and traced a few different elevation levels in Rhino. Then, I extruded these different levels into .25 inch thickness shapes. Then I layered the levels in order of lowest elevation on bottom to highest elevation on top and modeled some clock hands on the very top piece. You will see up top, some screenshots of my piece modeled with an environment for Lab 4. After this mock-up model was done, I took only the model for my clock and created a new Rhino doc. I then exploded my clock into each different layer and got rid of any mock-up clock hands I had used for the modeling process. I bought a clock hand kit with a battery power quartz built in time keeper. Once I received this clock kit, I measured out all of its dimensions and cut out the dimensions out of my layers where necessary so the clock kit fits nested inside my clock. I also cut out a hole in the top piece so the top piece would be pinned between the clock hands and the kit box. After this, I converted my layers into 2-D curves for the laser cutter to read.
The fabrication process consisted of me buying (way too much) wood (because Boulder Lumber didn't sell anything less than a 4x8 in birch). I had to have the Boulder Lumber workers help me cut down this piece enough to at least fit in my car. I then had to cut down this wood into a size big enough that could fit in the laser cutter, which Camila helped me with. The actual laser cutting process didn't take that long. I then took these pieces and sanded off the laser burns on the sides so the top sides of my layers looked nice and clean. Then, I put spray shellac on my pieces, let it dry, then put the clock kit inside the layers and glued each layer on. My only mistake and thing I need to fix going forward is that my top layer didn't cover the cut out box for the clock kit. This gives my clock an unprofessional look I think. But for a first iteration, I think it went very smoothly! I really enjoyed this process and am planning to make more clocks out of the excess wood I still have!
Welcome to my progress blog for my Form course at the University of Colorado, Boulder. Enjoy watching my process as my ideas become a reality.