The first part of this assignment was pretty easy, it was mainly messing around with the different curve functions that Rhino offered. It helped me get to know the software and also taught me I need to be much more organized when moving forward in Rhino, because things can get really messy really fast!
This exercise was cool as I got to take curves I had already worked with and turn those 2D shapes into 3D shapes. My favorite functions I worked with were "Sweep1" and "Sweep2". I loved how they turned a simply circle or square into this elaborate object. I also liked how you could trace the circle or square up along the rails you sweeped the object around and see how the shape was made. These functions inspired the object I created for 3D printing.
This part of the lab is where things got a little tricky to figure out. I made some interesting shapes such as the top right, bottom shape, that came out really cool because I messed up the function and something weird happened. The cage edit (bottom left) was really hard to figure out how to use but it was cool once I figured it out. The functions I learned in this part helped me create my 3D model of an actual object, especially the Boolean functions.
This is my 3D object, both in Rhino and printed. I used the "Sweep2" function with one perfect circle. I tried a few different rail curves until I was satisfied with the final shape of the object. I capped off the swept curve to make it water tight and ready to be printed. I had to scale my print down a bit because originally it was going to take 4 hours! I scaled it down so the print took about an hour. I'm very happy with the way it came out and am pleasantly surprised that the object can stand up the way I intended to.
For the 3D modeling of an actual object, I chose a pepper shaker. I thought this would be a good challenge while also not choosing an object that would be way out of my knowledge to build. I used the taper extrude to pull up the shape I modeled around the top of the shaker (top middle). I then cut the holes in the top out and used Boolean difference to get the top bump and bottom ledge accurate. I was very proud of my little addition of the tiny ball in the center of the top bump, made with Boolean difference as well. The holes took the longest to get right as I somehow ended up with far too many circles and they kept cutting out of the bottom when I didn't intend them too. Overall I am really happy with the way it turned out and am proud it came out looking so close to the original object!
Welcome to my progress blog for my Form course at the University of Colorado, Boulder. Enjoy watching my process as my ideas become a reality.