The object I decided to focus on for this project was a vase. I modeled a simple vase form using a circle and Sweep-2. I originally was going to model a table and in my Part B of this project, I decided to make a vase to go on the table for its environment. I ended up liking the vase better and thus decided to focus on the vase! I 3-D printed my vase with no problem and thought it was really cool that it can actually hold water and a tiny flower!
Cutting this shape out of cardboard was a whole different animal. I used two pieces of cardboard and cut all my pieces out-65 pieces. This was the easy part. I decided to be fancy and splice my object sideways to make it more interesting and different than my 3-D printed model of it. However, this made it extremely difficult to understand how to put together from flat rings of cardboard. For my first time putting an object together out of cardboard I wish I made it a little easier on myself to just understand the process, but I did enjoy the challenge. I think I messed up the orientation of the rings when putting it together so I don't think it came out as slicer intended it too. But, even though it didn't come out as planned, it still looks cool!
Here is my environment for my vase. Originally my environment for my table but plans changed and it still works! I attempted making the chair curved, but ran into lots of road blocks so I settled for a straight edged chair. I got good at Boolean Union while making these objects.
And here are my three joints! The first one was my fun one, deciding to turn a Ying Yang into a joint. The second one was a pretty easy joint to make as well. I used circles, lines and split and join to create both of these joints. The last joint was my 90 degree angle one. I wanted to make it able to turn and lock, so I measured the thickness of my wood and made a slit in one piece that would fit the extrusion from the other piece in it. I also made a circle bigger than the thickness of my wood so you would be able to turn and lock the extruded piece. After laser cutting, I realized that the extruded piece slides back and forth throughout the entire slot because the entire slot is the width of the wood. I realize now that I should've made the circle in the center the size of my wood so the piece could turn, but the rest of the slit smaller than the wood so it wouldn't be able to move around and it would stay in place. It was a cool experience learning a lot in the hands on portion of the creation of these joints. The real world is a lot different than Rhino!
Welcome to my progress blog for my Form course at the University of Colorado, Boulder. Enjoy watching my process as my ideas become a reality.