3-D Print 1
For my first 3D modeled object, I decided to make a small cup. I wanted to make it more complicated than just a simple cup so I decided to engrave my name around the outside and my initial on the inside. This turned out to be much harder than I had anticipated it would be! I spent a long time struggling to figure out how to line of the letters just right along the extruded, taper and curved edge of the cup. I also struggled with extruding the letters correctly. The thing I struggled with the most was what tool to use to cut the letters out of the surface of the cup. Boolean difference made the most logical sense to me to cut out the letters, but Boolean Union was the command that actually ended up working, after I messed around with joining together the extruded curves and surfaces of the letters as for some reason only the curves would extrude, even when I extruded the surface of the letters. After much time and effort I ended up cutting out all of the letters except the E. For some reason my E was stuck to my cup and I could undo the union after the fact so it ended up being extruded from the surface. I learned a lot struggling through this piece and feel like I know Rhino a lot better now! In the printing process, I played with changing the color of the plastic being printed, and I did like how it turned out. Much more exciting than a single colored object.
3-D Print 2
This piece was intended to be a guitar shaped bottle opener with my initial carved into it. This however is not what ended up being printed. I struggled for a long time with this piece as well as I extruded my surface of the drawn out guitar shape but it once again, like my first model, only extruded the edges of of the surface (i.e. the curve). I tried capping it and then cutting out my initial which went fine but when I went to go print the object, it wasn't watertight. I capped it and everything and searched online for a long time on how to troubleshoot an object that I couldn't get watertight with no luck. I even tried remaking the shape from scratch, with no luck. I ended up just creating the extruded curve into a solid object and printed that. The object now is so flimsy that it would never be able to be a functioning bottle opener. In the printing process, I played with changing the color of the plastic being printed again.
3-D Print 3
I modeled this object with the intent for it to be a functioning bowl. I didn't have any issues with making this on Rhino, but once I printed it I realized I printed it way to small it hold really anything and also made the fill of the plastic too thin to be hold liquid. In the printing process, I played with changing the color of the plastic being printed again.
Since this was the first time I have unrolled and then re-rolled physically an object, I decided to keep my shape simple so I could really understand how this process works. So, I decided to model a sphere. I printed my object on printer paper and sized as so as the laser cutter was broken. This made my object extremely small and thus very hard to cut/fold. But I did it! It looks pretty weird and squished. I learned that I need thicker material and my object printed larger next time I do this.
Welcome to my progress blog for my Form course at the University of Colorado, Boulder. Enjoy watching my process as my ideas become a reality.