For the Digital I/O, I started by making two circuits; one LED and one switch, both connected through the Ardunio. Once I got this working, I recreated the same two circuits on a different part of the breadboard. The switch part of this was a little harder because I used a different type of switch to challenge myself. I couldn't get this second part working for a while, and then realized I had my LED lined up backwards. Once I fixed it, it ended up working fine! The code wasn't too hard to write for this code, as it was basically the same thing repeated twice, except I changed the pin numbers, as the Input and the Output were through different pins in the different circuits. It was interesting and different working with the Ardunio instead of just the breadboard. It was helpful starting small and working my way up, it helped me understand it step-by-step.
Making the breakout board was an interesting, new challenge. I first, broke out two piece of the snap-out board. I then laid out a switch and a 22k ohm resistor on the first board and two LED's and a 100 ohm resistor on the second board. Then, I laid out the wires that needed to be put on these boards. I connected the input to the first board through the resistor, and then connected the output and ground to the corresponding spots on the switch. On the second board, I put the input to the resistor and the output to the LED's. Then, I soldered these wires to their correct spots! Soldering was a challenge, it took me a few tries to get the hang of it. I then connected these breakout boards to the correct ports in the breadboard/ardunio. I used my Digital I/O board for reference on knowing where to put which wires. I then wrote a few lines of code telling the ardunio to turn the LED's on if the switch was on "High." It worked on my first try!
Welcome to my progress blog for my Object course at the University of Colorado, Boulder. Enjoy watching my process as my ideas become a reality.