For Part 1, I used two LED's in series, with 100 Ohm resistors on each. I connected a Potentiometer to control the first LED and a Pressure Senor to control the second LED. The Potentiometer did not a resistor but I had to use a 100 K Ohm resistor when connecting the Pressure Sensor. I had a bit of difficulty getting the separate sensors to control the separate LED's, both sensors kept controlling both LED's to some extent. I went through some trial in error in my code to make sure everything was separate and I ended up doing something, I don't even know what, that made it suddenly work fine! It was interesting making a circuit with this many parts, it was overwhelming at first but once I broke it down into sections, I was able to complete this! It made the rest of the circuits in the other parts of the lab seem much more manageable.
For the second part of the lab, I first soldered wires to the + and - ports of the speaker. I then connected the other ends of these wires to pin 8 and to a 100 Ohm resistor that was connected to ground. Then I connected two flex sensors in series to pin A0, power and ground. I wrote my code and plugged in the arudino and it didn't work! I changed my speaker to pin ~9 and it still didn't work. After staring at things for a while and messing with my code and rechecking my circuit many times, (Nate and) I finally realized my breadboard wasn't actually plugged into ground! Once I fixed this, the speaker worked perfect!
For the last part of this lab, Allison Roten and I worked together. We decided to use two LED's in a breakout board as our digital output and a speak for our analog outputs and a Press Sensor and Potentiometer for out analog inputs. We looked at our circuit for a while and thought about how we make these inputs and outputs into a creative shape. We decided on a little monster box! We decided to laser cut a square box (4.6 inches HxWxD) and laser cut out eye holes (for the LEDs), a mouth (over where the speaker will be), a whole for the nose (where the potentiometer will be), and a whole for the hand (the Pressure Sensor). We used 1/4 inch Baltic Birch. The building of the box was prety easy, everything slid right into place. We taped the inside sides of the box together for extra stability. The box came out a lot cuter than we thought it would! We were very happy with our final product.
Welcome to my progress blog for my Object course at the University of Colorado, Boulder. Enjoy watching my process as my ideas become a reality.