First, I came up with the concept to my project. With inspiration for Billy Porter's hat from the Grammy's, I decided to make a hat that covered one's face when they pressed one button, and uncovered their face when they pressed another.
My next step was to set up the code for my servo motor, what I would use to move my parts, and the two buttons that turned the motor each way.
Next, I tried to figure out what I could attach to the motor to hold the piece of fabric that would sometimes be covering ones face. In attempt to do this, I attached a cardboard square to my servo motor.
I then tried to find a hat that would work my concept. I couldn't find a hat that was shaped correctly to easily attach a moving sheet to the top. while I was at Goodwill searching and came across a lampshade and had the bright idea (ha, get it), to cut a hole out of the lampshade and use the servo to have a piece of fabric cover this hole when one of the buttons are pressed. I also purchased a cheap straw hat in attempt to use these in conjunction with each other so it would be easier for a user to wear the lampshade as a hat.
After a lot of attempts and a lot of time lost trying to get a piece of fabric to cover the hole in the lampshade, I decided to scratch the idea and try just working with the straw hat. This unfortunately did not work either.
I then attempted to use one of my own bucket hats and attach the servo to the top of it, in hopes that a hat that fit better on the head would help solve the problem of the servo motors balance, stability and ability to turn the cardboard (and later a hot plate was added on to give the servo a wider range of turning). I attempted to put on the fabric onto the hot plate but was met with the problem again that the fabric would stick to the hat as it was attempting to move the fabric away from the face, so it wasn't successful still in moving the fabric.
After re-reading the description of this assignment, I was unsure if I had a shape changing wearable with this face covering hat as the piece of fabric was moving, but the hat itself wasn't changing shape. I decided to try to make a Hi! and Bye sign that would raise up or down depending on which button you pressed. However, this attempt also was a failure and only moved a few centimeters instead of completely upright or flat against the hat like I was going for.
After many hours lost trying and failing to get this face covering hat to work, I decided to take a step back and simplify my piece. I added a cardboard square on top of the one connected to the servo, that turns from Hi! to Bye when you press the button. So you can tell those around you hello or goodbye with a quick press of a button!
Welcome to my progress blog for my Wearable Technology course at the University of Colorado, Boulder. Enjoy watching my process as my ideas become a reality.